Friday, 13 July 2012

Cocooning In June

The year is racing by and photos I'd put aside for a moment are now a month out of date!  No less interesting though and now seems a good time to bring out this photograph of an Ichneumon Wasp's cocoon (probably campoplegine).  I had no idea what was in the cocoon until this morning, when David Notton, invertebrates expert from the Natural History Museum, helped me out on iSpot.
The Ichneumon's cocoon is the white bit that looks like a bird dropping (possibly to put off predators).  The dried wrinkled skin above is the remainder of the caterpillar it parasitised.  A happy coincidence that I should get this id just after posting the egg-laying Ichneumon video.

Also from June are these two photos showing weevil pupa inside intricately woven cocoons.  These are likely to be from the Curculionidae family -  'True Weevils' or 'Snout Beetles'.

I find cocoons and what's going on inside them absolutely fascinating.

13 comments:

  1. Wow!! What fantastic photos Omi, especially the last two and just because I love colour I am particularly captivated by the second one. I had never really thought about it before but you're right they are fascinating. I must keep my eyes open!

    Hope you have a lovely weekend :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your lovely comment, Jan :D Buttercups are such a happy colour! Hope your weekend is lovely too :) x

      Delete
  2. Lovely photos Omi - the cocoons are really fascinating. Its amazing what you can find if you look closely enough :) I shall be checking flowers and stems carefully from now on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Caroline, I was really pleased to have found them. :)

      Delete
  3. Those are amazing photos Omi! The first one really does look like a bird dropping! I must make sure that I take more notice of those things that look unusual!
    J
    Follow me at HEDGELAND TALES

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John :) We'll all be scrutinizing bird poop now...just in case. ;)

      Delete
  4. Haha, I just mis-read the title as "Coo in June"...I had visions of you and Rob with your evening beverages!

    That aside...another interesting and informative post Omi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ignore the typo...it should say "coco in June"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jason, your comments made me chuckle! Perhaps I should start another blog, 'At home with Rob and Omi'!

      Delete
  6. Heу very nісe blog!
    Here is my web page ... Isle of Wight

    ReplyDelete