Saturday, 7 July 2012

More From The Campsite

A few more photos from our recent camping trip.  We pitched our tent on a clifftop, on the south of the Island, where we had spectacular views of the English Channel at the expense of feeling the full force of the high winds I mentioned in my previous post.  This Kestrel was a frequent visitor to the skies above our tent, its source of food being a ravine 20 feet in front of our pitch.  Despite seeing it often, this was my best shot.
 When we collapsed the tent at the end of the week, we found this Dark Arches moth in the folds.  It's quite a large moth, with a wing span of 46-54mm.

I found it quite handsome, and photographing it made a good excuse for me to hide in the tent while Rob wrestled the sleeping bags back into their cases.
This Lesser Stag Beetle walked across our path later in the day, fortunately nowhere near our tent, which was now packed away and in the back of the car.  I'm not sure how well I would have handled finding this in my sleeping bag!  In fact, I have a fair idea and it wouldn't have been pretty!  At up to 32mm in length, it's a whopper of a beetle, and those mandibles are very intimidating!
Dragging out the last moments of our little holiday, we stopped in a lay-by for a picnic lunch.  After chucking half the packing out of the boot of our car to find the not-so-cool-anymore cool bag and slapping some, by now, misshaped bread round some warm cheese, I took my camera for one last walk along the hedgerow and snapped this Wasp Beetle.
As the name suggests it is a (long-horned) beetle that looks like a wasp.  These beetles also move and make buzz-like noises similar to wasps, but they are harmless.

8 comments:

  1. Love the Kestrel Omi, you get the sense of the frantic hovering that the bird is doing! Don`t like the sound of those sandwiches much! ;) Hope you had a good holiday, now back to the grindstone!
    J
    Follow me at HEDGELAND TALES

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John :) Haha, the sandwiches were surprisingly good :P

      Delete
  2. That Stag Beetle is a real brute of an invert...I wouldn't like to find one in my tent either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jason; my daughter has named him Norman, but it doesn't make him any more appealing! lol

      Delete
  3. Lovely photos Omi - I wouldn't fancy a Stag Beetle in my tent either! Love the Dark Arches - they are beautiful moths (I had one in my moth trap again this week). I can't imagine a more lovely place to go camping. When we visit your lovely island we usually stay in the Chale/Chale Green area and I always feel its like "coming home" :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Caroline :) This campsite to Chale Green shop is just 5 minutes by car, for emergency supplies. ;) We've tried a few sites on the Island but nothing beats this one. Hope you make it 'home' again soon.

      Delete
  4. Hi Omi, Lovely holiday pics ;-) The one of the Kestrel is full of energy! Handsome was the first word that came to mind when I saw your moth and the Lesser Stag is very impressive, it's quite a while since I saw one. I don't think I've ever seen a Wasp Beetle, another handsome creature!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan :) I must admit, I miss watching the Kestrel, and am actually quite envious that he is still there and I'm not, lol!

      Delete