Monday, 2 July 2012

Video Of A Click Beetle

We've just got back from a few days camping on the south of the Island.  The wind didn't let up at all and so most nature photography was impossible.  However, a few bugs took refuge from the weather in our tent and shortly after we set up, our daughter, Annie, alerted us to this acrobatic beetle.  

(Turn up your volume to hear the click)

When these little beetles are scared or upside down they snap a spine on their prosternum into a corresponding notch on their mesosternum which produces a loud click and launches them into the air.  A useful trick, and one that kept us amused for some time.

10 comments:

  1. Hope the camping trip wasn't too bad despite the weather Omi. I love the click beetle video...you have captured the sound spot on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a wonderful few days, thanks Jason :) We used to camp every year but stopped for a while as we got a house rabbit - not a pet you can take camping! It's taken a few more years to take the tent by the pegs and get out there again. So glad we did :D

      Delete
  2. Amazing! Wonder if I could develop that trick! It might come in handy ;)
    J
    Follow me at HEDGELAND TALES

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feel free to have a go, John! lol

      Delete
  3. Love the video Omi especially the clicking sound. I saw one of those beetles recently at Calke Abbey but didn't manage to identify it until after I got home. Hope you enjoyed your camping trip despite the windy weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caroline :) We did thank you, can't wait to go again!

      Delete
  4. An excellent piece of video Omi! I had hoped to look at it last night but ran out of time. As I explained to Rob, my much handier iPad unfortunately doesn't support flash. Poor little beetle, that rain sounded torrential! I hope you all managed to keep dry and enjoy the holiday despite the weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jan :D Rob showed me that you had commented on his post, very kind of you to let me know you were on your way - I look forward to your comments! :) We all had a great time, thanks; it wasn't too wet, just mighty windy!

      Delete
  5. What a wonderful trick,fantastic to see.
    John.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, John, we were lucky he chose to perform in our tent. I'm afraid it was such fun to watch, we quite tired him out!

      Delete